Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
August 07, 2011"We're on the fringe right now. We can barely defend ourselves."
– Rep. Bobby Schilling, member of the Armed Services Committee, on the U.S. military
August 04, 2011"If you want a bad job, go to Texas. If you want to work at Carl's Jr., our doors are open, and if you want to go to a crumbling school in a failing system, this is the place to come."
– Texas Rep. Garnet Coleman
July 31, 2011"This guy isn't a serious Christian. He's a devoted New York Times reader, and he's an extremely well-read guy."
– Mark Steyn on Anders Breivik
July 29, 2011"I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out how to use my telephone."
– Danish computer scientist Bjarne Stroustrup
July 26, 2011"I told him I'd be willing to sit down and talk about our differences and just try to provide for the people, but they didn't want that. They wanted me to convert to Islam and fight for them."
– U.S. Army 1st Lt. Benjamin Amsler, on a cell phone call he received from a Taliban commander
July 25, 2011"As a kid, all I thought about was death. But you can't tell your parents that."
– Maurice Sendak
July 22, 2011"I think of it as bling for the yard."
– Kristi Schiller, on the $50,000 playhouse she and her oil executive husband had custom-built for their 4-year-old"Adorable and worth every penny."
– Retired defense contractor Dan Burnham, on the $248,000 playhouse he bought for his grandkids
July 21, 2011"In the end, 'Potter' may go down as the most sexist story ever told."
– Andrea Peyser
July 19, 2011"I'm getting more and more comfortable every day that this is what I've been called to do. This is what America needs."
– Texas Governor Rick Perry, on why he may run for president"I think it's time for us to just hand it over to God and say, 'God, you're going to have to fix this.'"
– Texas Governor Rick Perry
July 17, 2011"She's got a good family, she's got a good husband, she's got God on her side, and I think people are envious of that. They're envious that she carries herself so well, that she's smart."
– Bristol Palin on her mother's critics